Bredbo Valley View farm - providing quality education in Permaculture and sustainable living practices.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Who's the good looking rooster??


Another day out in the open air and wind, I’ve got blisters on my blisters and a few aching muscles. I spent hours digging rocks out of post holes, I’ve ruined a pair of gloves in two days and I’ve already started to wear the second pair at the base of the thumb. And I’ve bent my crow bar – that’s a real bugger.....

It’s amazing what you see out there, I saw two foxes, one saw me, but the other didn’t.

I’ve managed to get seven posts in to date and this should speed up in the next few days as the fence goes out across the flats. I still need to go back and cement one in because I couldn’t get the whole deep enough in the rock.

There are dozens of different birds, hawks and falcons can be seen floating around on the updrafts and the stubble quails keep scaring the life out of me in the long grass between fence posts. I spotted a white necked heron gorging itself on threatened species down at the river this morning – I tried to get a picture of it but it had gone by the time I got back with the camera.

Our sheep are looking well and all the lambs have survived the bad weather. I see them each day on my way out to the fence, they are fat and happy – we’ve got one that must have been missed at shearing time it has a double fleece which will make it a fly target when the weather warms up so we’ll have to get the shearer out early this year.

Big day tomorrow – somebody is having a birthday, not that you would know. He’s been reminding us for days. So we are planning a special dinner for him tomorrow night, the cake is cooked and his pressies are sitting here on the table ready for when he wakes up.

4 comments:

Fiona said...

A big Happy Birthday to Ben from your Queensland cousins!
How about sending a bit of that rain this way!

Valley View said...

You had rain all summer - it'll come back you just have to be patient, we had to wait and wait and wait - have you guy's been to the Bull Sale yet?? Did Old Nev make it up there??

Lynettes blogs said...

Happy 11th birthday Ben
Love from Opa and Lyn xx
Letter is following soon.

Old Nev said...

test from old nev