Bredbo Valley View farm - providing quality education in Permaculture and sustainable living practices.

Friday, March 13, 2009

Asleep at the wheel


Three piglets have ended up back inside – hey, the three little pigs! Anyway, we are still having problems when we have multiple births. The larger piglets force themselves onto the younger piglet’s mothers and starve them out.

The farm was quite yesterday afternoon so I took the time to attend my first Bee Association Meeting. It was very pleasant; I met a lot of nice people and now have an idea about what to do next. If I provide the boxes the people there will fill them with swarms over summer – then all I need to do is take them away.

I’ll spend the weekend looking for a good site for my first lot of bees, which hopefully, I’ll have by mid spring.
Forgot to mention - we had another 4mm of rain yesterday and it's raining again today - I haven't had time to check how much yet. Thankfully it seems the Autumn rain may come this year.

5 comments:

The Duck Herder said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Duck Herder said...

oops, sorry about that Mr Bredbo Valley View Farm - I outed you by using your first name! How rude.

What I meant to say was I was there too - at bee club I mean. They are nice folks there.

That is very exciting about your bees.

duckie

Valley View said...

Hi Duck Herder, I didn't get to stay long after the meeting - did you leave before supper? I was wondering, on your profile it says you worked for environment - was that DEW/DEWHA??

cheers

The Duck Herder said...

yeah, it had been a big day and I was a bit tired. and naaah. I'm one of those dirty independent contractor types. I am based in the DECC office in QBN atm though, working on this cool project:
www.groundswellproject.blogspot.com

Do you just get to play farms all day and send the cook off to work, or do you have to work in the big smoke as well?

duckie

Valley View said...

No part time farm, and I work for DEWAH in their GIS team. I love my job, but I'd rather be farming full time and I have a five year plan to get me there - hopefully.

I had a look at your project and it looks very worth while.

I enjoy your blog as well, Bee's are so much easier then pigs!!

cheers